messy. crazy. amazing. joyful.

We're not all officially ADHD. Dad's unofficial. Our ten-year-old twins have ADHD. Our seven-year old wants to have it because everyone is always talking about it. Our three year old has ADHD--just because she's three. And me, Mom, I think it's contagious. Who can remain untouched in a house where shoes seem to be lost every morning, instructions are routinely thrown aside, and fights erupt over which continent capybaras come from?

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I Can Live with Hyper, It's Better Than Explosive

Hiking in Bryce Canyon.


Both Luke and Izzy are less emotional, less explosive, less trantrum-y. We are completely off Intuniv now and have been on Zoloft (sertraline) for a couple of weeks. I’m glad the atmosphere is more positive, but it is also more hyper, for lack of a better word (without the negative connotation). But Luke and Izzy have said it themselves. They are either more hyper or their hyperness is easier to see now that the explosive episodes have waned. But I have to say, I can take hyper. It is a gift that things are more buoyant around here. Please, do 10 somersaults. Just don’t yell and hit your brother.

Luke has not slept well for the last few nights, and I’m wondering if that is because he is off the Intuniv. Maybe a drawback from stopping that, but maybe the high emotions were related to taking it. I’m hoping bad behavior doesn’t result from this lack of sleep. If it’s not one thing, it’s the other isn’t it?

We started school yesterday, and I was dreading the “dreaded first day of school phone call”--that Luke had hit someone or Izzy was screaming. No call. So that was good. I talked to all the kids’ teachers and asked them how things went the first day. They had all been made aware of Luke and Izzy’s needs in general, so that was good. Both of their teachers said Luke and Izzy had a hard time sitting still and becoming engaged and Luke had some line-up scuffles. That is actually a good day for us. BUT I was still worried about their difficulty in sitting still and doing their work and “scuffles.” I want so badly for this year to be better than last and for them to be able to keep some friends. So I lay awake last night thinking about them and if we should try a stimulant. We were planning on adding a stimulant to the anti-anxiety med in a couple of weeks. And I decided, Why wait? If it’s going to help, let’s get it going. If it’s not going to help, let’s get this over with and on to our next drug trial or therapy or whatever is going to work!!! I started with a verrrrrry low dose (10 mg) of Vyvanse. It was like crack cocaine for Luke last time so I’m really hoping it works differently in a lower dose, without Intuniv, and with the anti-anxiety med. So far, no phone call today.

No comments:

Post a Comment